About a year before I got engaged I started buying supplies for wedding DIYs. Okay, I promise it’s really not as bad as it sounds. We had talked about getting engaged but we were still in college. Before buying a ring he wanted to make sure that he had a good job secured and that he was financially stable. How very adult of him! Anyway, like most girls, I have a wedding board on Pinterest. I have been carefully cultivating it since high school. One of the Pinterest trends I have really loved is the bridesmaid box. For those of you who aren’t familiar, it is essentially a box full of presents that you give to your future bridesmaid usually accompanied with a card popping the question to your girls.
One of the great things about planning a project out way in advance is that you can take advantage of craft store coupons. I got all the supplies for this project from Jo-Ann Fabric and I did not pay full price for a single item. Those half price coupons can be dangerous (i.e. using them as an excuse to add more random items to my ever growing craft stash) but if you have time to spare on a potentially expensive project, they can really save you a chunk of change.
So, with my coupons, I got 7 wooden boxes (4 for my bridesmaids, one for myself, my mom, and my future mother-in-law) and a can of wood stain. Did you know that you can buy wood stain at Jo-Ann? No? Well, I didn’t either before this project. PSA… for 7 boxes I only used about half of a small can of stain. No need to buy three cans like I did… Well after weeks of patiently waiting I had all of my supplies and it was time to get to work!
The actual instructions for this project are fairly simple. First, I went outside (the fumes from the wood stain are fairly strong, so I recommend going outdoors) and I laid a tarp down. From there it was just a matter of popping open the wood stain and brushing it on the box. I stained the entire box, except for the underside of the lid.
I know that sounds almost too simple… but really it wasn’t hard at all! Wood Stain was so foreign to me and I have to admit I was very nervous to use it the first time. Take it from me, it was very easy!
I recommend using a foam brush. I tried using a scrap piece of t-shirt, a regular paint brush, and a foam brush. I had the easiest time with the latter.
I found that it worked well if I waited until each newly stained side was dry before working on the next section. I recommend wearing clothes that you don’t mind getting ruined. As you can see from this photo, I ended up putting a t-shirt on my legs because the stain doesn’t just stain wood… and I learned that the hard way! (Also gloves will be your friend during this project.) I recommend giving the boxes plenty of time before you move on to painting on the top. I let my boxes dry overnight.
I liked how the Etsy boxes had the bridesmaids’ names on the outside of the box. I thought that it was a nice personalized touch. That’s where a Silhouette (or other cutting machine) comes in handy. If you don’t have one at your disposal, then printing out your names from the computer and tracing your letters should work too. Or if you are a very brave soul you can try to freehand it.
I chose a script font online and uploaded it to my computer. Then I used the Silhouette Design Studio software and cut out the outline of the names on a piece of cardstock. Then I taped the stencil onto the box and traced the letters onto the top of the box. I used a very small paint brush and filled in the letters with white paint. It took a couple of coats but I think it turned out well!
Next… it’s glitter time! This was a very easy but very messy part of the project. I used a paintbrush to paint on a layer of tacky glue on the underside of the top of the box. While the glue was still wet, I poured glitter until I couldn’t see any more of the glue. Then I turned the box over and gave a tap to get rid of the excess glitter. Finally, once the glue was dry, I painted Mod Podge over the glitter.